This structure is an example of the transformation and rebirth of buildings that was common at Canterbury Shaker Village.
In 1811, the Blacksmith Shop was built on this site on the western side of Shaker Road, just south of where the Trustees’ Office would later be built. It replaced an older blacksmith shop that was located on the site of the current Infirmary.
An addition known as the Coal House was built on the structure in 1827; it was also called the Ox Shed, as oxen were shod there. In 1849, a cast iron forge and an iron stack were added to further improve the shop, and it then housed both the blacksmith and the tin ware operation.
In 1900, the Coal House was taken down and at some point in the 1950s the Blacksmith Shop was removed and sold, though whether as an entire structure or in parts is unknown.
A new restaurant, originally named The Shaker Table, was completed on the Blacksmith Shop site in 2004. The current entrance and lobby are located on the site of the former Coal House. Although not identical, the building’s facade is reminiscent of the historic structure.
This building now houses The Shaker Table Event Center, and is available for rental for events. Contact Sally Stanton for more information.