The first building that stood on the site of the Visitor Education Center was the Horse Stand. It was constructed in 1834 to shelter horses and vehicles belonging to visitors to the adjacent Trustees’ Office. Expanded during the 1850s to become a warehouse and shipping depot, the Horse Stand had a lower level drive-through with wagon entrances at the north and south ends.
In 1952, the Horse Stand was moved to the Shelburne Museum in Vermont. In 2001, the Visitor Education Center was designed and built as a replica of the Horse Stand, utilizing the same footprint as the original building. This building serves as the Village’s Visitor Center and contains the Museum Store, Admissions, and business offices.